Friday, February 15, 2013

February 15

I'm going to remember what I can about the day after Valentine's Day. But I'm not going to remember 2013, because that's today!

2012. My class notes indicate that this was the day my editing class met in Special Collections in the library. I went down to Special Collections, but I walked right by our class. I had to turn around and go into the room where our class was meeting. We all spread out in our seats, but they told us we all needed to sit toward the front. They showed us ancient writings: a Cuneiform tablet, handwritten monastery Bibles with pages of animal skins (and the monks would still use pages with holes in them), and an eighteenth-century book with a picture on the edges of the pages. That was really cool; one way it was one picture, and the other way it was the other. That night I wrote a blog post about lemits.

2011. I suspect that I would have removed my Valentine's Day music from my playlist, and then to kick-off my newly un-Valentined playlist, I started off my listening session with John Mayer's "St. Patrick's Day." Apparently this was the night I went running on campus, and I was on East Campus Drive. There were some people on the sidewalk, so I ran on the grass to get out of the way. I tripped and fell, and all those people saw me.

2010. I wore my new St. Patrick's Day shirt. In the morning, I was complaining to my mom that I couldn't get the songs I downloaded the night before onto my computer, but I was able to figure it out. I would have brought out St. Patrick's Day decorations, and I took a few shamrock window clings to take back to Provo. I went to bed when I realized that I didn't have a parking permit on my car, since I traded cars, but I thought it would be OK overnight and I'd move it the next day. (I turned out to be wrong.)

2009. It was my first Sunday in the Hayden Lake 4th Ward. I think we had to help pass the sacrament. Sister James, who played the organ and was an eccentric lady, was wearing a small wire Valentine garland in her hair. There was a friendly nonmember at church. After sacrament meeting, he went off to the Gospel Doctrine class. We went and found him, and Elder Betenson said to him, "There's a class for nonmembers" (which I thought was a tactless thing to say), and this guy said, "I'm good." (I later tracted into him and found out he was excommunicated.) We taught Elders Quorum, and Elder Betenson did most of the talking, partly because I don't talk too much and partly because he likes to show how much he knows. I brought up a scripture in the Doctrine and Covenants directed to someone (I can't remember who), and Elder Betenson chimed in that that guy helped fund the Book of Mormon. After church the Elders Quorum President said I needed to talk more (but he said it nicely). I think we probably talked to Elder Kitchen and Elder Lestarge. A man in one of the other wards in the building came up to me and introduced himself. He noticed that my name is Melville, and he said he was a bishop in Fillmore. I told him my dad is from there, but he didn't recognize the name Rick Melville. But then I told him that my grandpa was Boyd, and he knew him. He asked what my grandma's name was; when I said "Judy," he said, "That's right." I told her that she had died a few years earlier, and he said he had heard that. This is my journal entry for the day:
"Today at church a nonmember showed up and after sacrament meeting he snuck to Gospel Doctrine, so we went to grab him, but he firmly said, 'I'm good.' We had to teach Elders Quorum, and Elder Betenson dominated the lesson. I have my good days and my bad days about talking, and today was a bad one. We had dinner with the Woods, and nothing else too significant happened, except a Tim Shirtz (sp) of another ward was a bishop in Fillmore about twelve years ago, and talked about how Grandpa Boyd knew all about lumber." 

2008. I remember Brother Welsh, with whom we lived, came home from the store with a lot of sale Valentine candy. Some of that included red, pink, and white Kissables, which they don't make anymore.

2003. We drove home from Fillmore, since we had been there for my cousin's wedding. On our drive home, we hit a thick patch of fog. I was eating all the leftover Valentine candy my mom got from her school. I think this was the day we went to a bookstore in Salt Lake because Jules Feiffer, who illustrated The Phantom Tollbooth, was signing books. I took my copy of The Phantom Tollbooth to have him sign. We were driving in Salt Lake and I saw someone have a Mardi Gras flag up, and I was surprised anyone actually celebrated that in Utah. We helped Susanne pack up some stuff from her house, since she was moving out. My mom's friend Jackie and her husband Sam were helping. It started raining, and Sam went and stood under a carport or something, saying that even chickens know when to get out of the rain. That night my mom and my siblings and I went to a King's Singers concert. While we were walking on our way there, David was singing songs he'd created on his mission, like, "Raindrops keep falling on my head, I guess that means my eyes will soon be turning red, acid rain." I was embarrassed, so I rammed into him to try to get him to stop. He asked why I was doing that, and I said, "'Cause that's what I do." My mom thought that was funny and started laughing loudly and asked Susanne if she heard what I said. That made me even more embarrassed. At the concert, the King's Singers said that the previous night had been Valentine's Day, so there had been a lot of physical contact with the concert goers--but that it was the same story that night. We got some CDs during intermission; I think I wanted to get a Beatles one (and to this day I've hardly listened to it). My mom bought one called Kid Stuff since Susanne was having a baby. When we were leaving teh concert and walking back to our car, we overheard some people behind us talking about the snobby people in black (i.e. everyone coming from the concert). Then we dropped Susanne off at her house for one of the last nights she would be sleeping there.

2002. After school I put up St. Patrick's Day decorations. That night the Andersons picked me up and took me to "the Bubble" to go swimming with them. There was a house in Bountiful that had green lights up already for St. Patrick's Day. I saw Erica Lovell (who was my age) at the Bubble.

Related posts:
Remember Every Detail, Volume 6: Valentine's Day
A Year of Holiday Memories

No comments:

Post a Comment